Alith Legion New Logo001

Casual mostly solo PvE Magicka Sorcerer build (The Wayward Apostle)

02 Mar 2019 17:54
Watchdog
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
Casual mostly solo PvE Magicka Sorcerer build (The Wayward Apostle) #121217
I mostly play solo and I often prefer to only use a single bar for my casual solo Overland PvE only playstyle. The idea was to create something that would work nicely for me, while it would not require endless farming of group content. It does require some crafting, though - namely Enchanting and Provisioning, but other crafting skills too, so that you can upgrade the quality of your items. My little "build" below is something fully doable for a casual PvE soloer, I am a prime example of that. :) Perhaps someone else would find it enjoyable too.

As for the name, I chose something fitting my character, who is a (edit: Dunmer) Clockwork Apostle, however, she is not impartial to receiving a little assistance from the Dadric Prince Azura. The Queen of Dawn and Dusk is one of the "good" Daedras afterall, what could go wrong, right? Right? What? Why are you giving me this funny look? :unsure:

Needless to say, looks > stats, therefore, a full outfit in the Apostle style is to be considered an integral and vital part of the build.;)

CP AND PASSIVES

I am at around 470 CP, and my CP distribution may not be optimal, I could probably do it better, and I probably am going to respec my CP sooner or later.

I would recommend all class, Destruction Staff and Light Armour passives.

ATRIBUTES AND BIRTH SIGN

All Atribute points are in Magicka (64).
Birth Sign, or "Boon" - The Mage (+2028 Magicka)

FOOD

Withered Tree Inn Venison Pot Roast (purple food that I can craft):

Increase Max Health by 4462 and Max Magicka and Stamina by 4105 for 2 hours.

STATS WITH FOOD AND PET (COUNTING WITH PURPLE GEAR)

Magicka: 47595
Health: 16375
Stamina: 16725

SKILL BAR

1 - Shock Clench (Destruction Staff - Edit: Destructive Touch morph - thanks for the correction Zigi)
2 - Blockade of Storms (Destruction Staff - Wall of Elements morp)
3 - Mages' Wrath (Storm Calling - Mages' Fury morph)
4 - Dark Conversion (Dark Magic - Dark Exchange morph)
5 - Twilight Matriarch (Daedric Summoning - Summon Winged Twilight morph)

U - Power Overload (Storm Calling - Overload morph)

To fight groups of mobs I use the Blockade of Storms, stun the mobs with the Shock Clench, and use the Mages' Wrath to execute the mobs, while weaving in Light Attacks into the rotation. The Dark Conversion is my healing spell (8059 HP restored instantly) and it restores some Magicka too as a bonus (3600 instantly and 2600 more over 20 seconds) to help my sustain. The Twilight Matriarch adds to my DPS output while it can also burst heal me and possibly 1-2 allies for 6001 HP.

I am thinking about swapping the Dark Conversion for Shattering Prison (Dark Magic - Encase morph), due to the Blood Magic passive in the Dark Magic skill tree, as it would heal me for 10% of my HP every time I hit an enemy with it, with only 0.5 second cooldown. I guess I have to test it some more.

The Ultimate deals Shock Damage, working in nice synergy with my passives, apparel set bonuses and CP bonuses. And the effects look cool too! B)

APPAREL SETS

Full Queen's Elegance set (Light armour, drops from Overland content in Auridon):

2 items: Adds 1-129 Spell Damage
3 items: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Magicka
4 items: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Magicka
5 items: Increases your Light and Heavy Attack damage by 20%.

Full Necropotence set (Light armour, drops from Overland content in Rivenspire):

2 items: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Magicka
3 items: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Magicka
4 items: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Magicka
5 items: While you have a pet active, your Max Magicka is increased by 36-3150.

Armour pieces are all Infused, with Increase Maximum Magicka glyphs. Rings and necklace are Arcane, with Increase Magicka Recovery glyph. All apparel is purple, all glyphs are Truly Superb with Kuta.

WEAPON SET

Indomitable Fury set Lightning Destruction Staff:

2 items: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Magicka

The staff is Infused, with Absorb Magicka glyph (deals Magic damage and restores some Magicka). The staff is purple, the glyph is Truly Superb with Kuta.

No particular reeason for choosing the Indomitable Fury set, I bought the staff at a guild tradepost purely due to the 2 items bonus.

Comments are very welcome, just, please, keep in mind that the whole idea is a very simple and very casual build aimed at people who don't want to spend countless hours farming the right gear in group/veteran content. You see, to get things going easily enough. One could call it a starter build, as one can always move on from here.

UPDATE:

Based on feedback in a Steam discussion, I tested some changes. I also added my character's race - Dunmer - above.

FOOD

Any of the three blue recipes:

Melon-Baked Parmesan Pork
Solitude Salmon-Millet Soup
Mistral Banana-Bunny Hash

Increase Max Health by 5395 and Max Magicka by 4936 for 1 hour.

My Maximum Health and Magicka went up, albeit at the cost of some Maximum Stamina, but still enough for a few healing spells.

APPAREL

All items changed to Divines trait.

This boosted the Birth Sign bonus (Boon: The Mage) to Increase Maximum Magicka by 2950.

WEAPON

I bought a Staff of Willpower with the Precise trait:

2 items: Adds 16-1451 Maximum Magicka

My Maximum Magicka went up a little, and I gained some Spell Critical chance, while losing a some Magicka Damage and Restoration from the the enchant, as the original Infused trait added to those.

My stats with food and pet now like this:

Magicka: 49297
Health: 17532
Stamina: 11799

My Spell Critical chance went up from 29.0% to 34.9%.

Golding my gear could perhaps push me over 50k Magicka, but that is something I cannot afford to do for all my characters yet, especially not the jewelery items.
The following user(s) said Thank You garethsarge, RainbowZod, stormbrewer, FroodMadeIt, BiancaV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Mar 2019 01:23
stormbrewer
More
Casual mostly solo PvE Magicka Sorcerer build (The Wayward Apostle) #121230
Got curious, casual player I am, and decided to go for this with my old AD (yeah, I know) sorc that has been hanging fire ever since I joined Alith. Got the bits and pieces off the market - not too horribly expensive, took a little time to find infused version of all of them, but after going through the Mournhold, Vivec City, Alinor and Elden Root guild merchies, as well as upgrading some pieces and enchanting the lot anew plus changing my skills, I set out to find the nearest Mage stone.

I had no more left the nearest wayshrine on my way there when a daedra portal opened right ahead of me. The first three mobs just melted away, and I swear the watcher that appeared in the second wave didn't even blink before it deflated. Not sure what I did except pushing the skills a little randomly, but it sure worked. Quite a difference from my so far most accomplished toon - the nightblade I've been playing for the past year or so is quite fine for PvE and normal dungeons, but takes a little time killing stuff.

Buoyed by the initial success, I decided to up the game a little and went solo into a group delve in Craglorn. Mobs were fine, as long as I kept an eye on my health bar. My nightblade has spoiled me in that regard - it is pretty mob resistant and its self heal buff usually means I don't need to pay much attention to its health bar. My sorc on the other hand was frequently down to a literal inch and less of her life half the time, so the twilight matriarch got busy supplying the heals needed. Constantly monitoring my health bar took some getting used to - but then again, I think I used the Shock Clench less frequently than I should. Anyway, the group delve mobs weren't too much of a problem. Tried two bosses in there while I was at it, and got my behind handed to me in oh so many ways. But not without having made some decent attempts - might have pulled it off with more experience in using the skills, but not entirely sure.

Next up, Fungal Grotto I normal solo. Piece of goblin dreugh cake. (yeah I know, I know. You veteran and hard mode content people out there probably solo Falkreath Hold and Bloodrose Prison in normal, and FG II on veteran as well. For someone hardly able to solo a group delve a year back, soloing any normal dungeon is still good fun.)

End verdict:

Pros:
* Nice damage output for casual PvE for a relatively modest investment.
* Makes things go boom. I like things that go boom.
* If you run out of magicka with this setup in casual PvE ... well, I never got anywhere near doing that.

Cons:
* Having to constantly watch my hp when taking on larger groups of mobs (but this could be due to me not using the CC skills properly yet).
* Being a lot more squishy than I'm used to, but 47k magicka is more than sufficient for those self heals.

Overall: I think I like it. Thank you for sharing it, Watchdog!

The following user(s) said Thank You Watchdog, BiancaV

11 May 2019 16:05
FroodMadeIt
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Casual mostly solo PvE Magicka Sorcerer build (The Wayward Apostle) #121977
I thought to myself one day "I'd like to have a go at healing!" and promptly made a magSorc, which I then abandoned as I have no clue how to play without being a tanky stamBlade...
I will definitely be trying this out at some point in the next couple of months! Thank you for sharing this :D
The following user(s) said Thank You Watchdog

11 May 2019 16:37
Watchdog
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
Casual mostly solo PvE Magicka Sorcerer build (The Wayward Apostle) #121978
I am happy someone else finds the build interesting.:cheer:
UPDATE:

This build deals an insane amount of Shock Damage, has a powerful self-heal (also heals the Matriarch and 1-2 additional friendlies), it can stun and/or immobilize enemies to keep them in your AoE + DoT abilities area. The Light/Heavy attacks (including the Power Overload Ultimate) deal a lot of damage too.

PASSIVES

All Racial, Dark Magic, Storm Calling and Daedric Summoning, Destruction Staff and Light Armour passives. Fighters Guild passives help a lot with Ultimate generation when facing Daedra, Undead or Werewolves.

SKILL BAR 2 (Variant 1)

1 - Elemental Ring (Destruction Staff - Impulse morph) - spammable AoE
2 - Lightning Flood (Storm Calling - Lightning Splash morph) - DoT, AoE, synergy AoE
3 - Shattering Prison (Dark Magic - Encase morph) - DoT, Immobilization, small heal
4 - Bound Aegis (Daedric Summoning - Bound Armour morph) - Maximum Magicka (+8%)
5 - Summon Twilight Matriarch (Daedric Summoning - Summon Winged Twilight morph) - damage, tanking, burst heal, Maximum Magicka (+3150)

Ultimate - Elemental Rage (Destruction Staff - Elemental Storm morph) - nuke, AoE, DoT

SKILl BAR 2 (Variant 2)

1 - Crystal Blast (Dark Magic - Crystal Shard morph) - single target stun, AoE splash
2 - Lightning Flood (Storm Calling - Lightning Splash morph) - DoT, AoE, synergy AOE
3 - Shattering Prison (Dark Magic - Encase morph) - DoT, Immobilization, small heal
4 - Bound Aegis (Daedric Summoning - Bound Armour morph) - Maximum Magicka (+8%)
5 - Summon Twilight Matriarch (Daedric Summoning - Summon Winged Twilight morph) - damage, tanking, burst heal, Maximum Magicka (+3150)

Ultimate - Elemental Rage (Destruction Staff - Elemental Storm morph) - nuke, AoE, DoT

WEAPONS

Lightning Destruction Staff of Willpower on both bars. This set gives a bit more Magicka.

2 items: Adds 16-1451 Maximum Magicka

CONSUMABLE BUFF VARIANT - DRINK

For a bit less Max Health and Max Magicka, but more Recovery in both, you can use this purple drink:

Witchmother's Potent Brew

Increase Max Magicka by 3192, Magicka Recovery by 319, and Max Health by 3511 for 2 hours. These effects are scaled based on your level.

CHAMPION POINTS

As soon as you start gaining CP, invest them in Light/Heavy attack damage with staves, Direct Damage, Elemental Damage and Damage Over Time, returned Magicka from Heavy Attacks, and Arcanist for Magicka Recovery.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds